Meet The Coltons

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

honest.

Today, I'm going to share a little something that I deal with on a regular basis; something that I am realizing more and more every day. I believe this quality about me is something God is trying to turn into another way to bring Him glory. I am an on the go person. I don't sit still often and I am constantly looking for the next thing to look forward to, anything new, anything exciting and busy, wherever I can find people, a new hobby or band, or vacation etc... and I don't want to do any of it without my husband or my daughter. I am often daydreaming about where I see us down the road, setting goals, and trying to make the absolute most of every day on earth.

I am learning that there is a good and a bad side to this quality. The good is that I am intentional, relational, and many of my priorities line up with how I believe God wants to use me and whatever my gifts are for his glory. I am spontaneous, free-spirited, laid back, and easily excited about life and all it has to offer.

Here's the bad. I notice that I get bored easily and can be dependent on excitement/newness. Routine scares me, commitment scares me, the idea of being stuck in a rut is my worst nightmare. I have found myself upset with my husband when he "gets in the way" of my dreams, even if he is simply suggesting another option, way before any of it would even be a possibility for us. I'll spend time on pinterest finding more recipes, more projects, more crochet stitches to try, more jewelry that I love, another book I want to read, a new workout playlist, etc.. And before long I am go go go again.

I totally believe that God made me this way, but that He desires for me to set my priorities according to His will. He wants me to respect my husband by considering his future plans/dreams too, and sometimes it might replace one of mine, even though it doesn't sound appealing the first time. I believe God wants me to sit still and spend more time digging deeper into the word and in prayer because ultimately He wants me to know Him so I can be more like Him. I may think I can represent Christ on my own, but I am nothing without Him and for goodness sake, I have a daughter I'm trying to raise! I will and have already made mistakes, but if I do nothing else, I want to be able to get to heaven one day, knowing that I did my very best to serve and respect the husband God gave me. I want to be sure that I did my very best to raise our children to be like Christ. Those are real accomplishments. I can't imagine He will be impressed with how many recipes I have mastered, the number of headbands I have made for my daughter, or how perfectly decorated my house is.

Each of us has the same number of hours in a day. How we use that time says a lot about who we are and what we value most. My prayer, is that I will be a woman who gives that precious time to God, trusting that He will fulfill my "needs" for all things exciting/new. After all, I could never have dreamed up what God has allowed me to experience in the first 25 years of my life.
Besides, to live is Christ, to die is gain. Can I get an Amen?! ;)



0 comments:

Post a Comment