Meet The Coltons

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

clean eating.

Does anyone else feel like it's hard to figure out what to eat these days? One article says, it's good for you, another one says it's not, blah blah blah. Back in February, I came across a blog post done by a mama of three, who tried a 3 week detox program. After much reading and recipe hunting (and doubting), I finally decided to try clean eating. It seems the most logical to me so I bought the book Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger. I have read most of it, and I must say, even though he has some great pointers, I can't say I recommend the whole book (Organic clothes? Really? I'm sorry, not in this house...) But, he focuses primarily on what we eat, and here's the basic principal of the program: We need to get our bodies out of our current toxic state. Because of the way food is made now, we have built up toxins in our bodies that are linked to the poor health conditions in our country. If we give our bodies time to recover but omitting these things from our diet for 21 days, we can have a fresh start and will, apparently, feel younger, more energetic, and overall "clean". One thing he has said, that has stuck with me, is that A person who is in a toxic state craves toxic things, and vice versa...
Now, for me, this is mostly just an experiment. Something to work towards, another way to practice discipline, a challenge, etc... And hopefully I can swap some of my eating habits for better ones. But for some people, this program could seemingly be life changing! There were many shocking testimonials throughout the book!

I'm on day three. And I have already considered quitting. What was I thinking. Why am I doing this.
No dairy, no caffeine, no chocolate, no refined sugar or flour, no bread, no gluten, no eggs, no red meat, no potatoes, no tap water, no soy, no peanut butter/peanuts. Ouch.
So that leaves.... fruits and vegetables, herb tea, purified/distilled water, nuts and flax seed, chicken, fish, quinoa, brown rice, olive oil and spices, etc...
At first, I thought, so that leaves stir fry, salad without dressing, and fruits and vegetables. Hmph.
However, I have been quite impressed with Pinterest and some of you bloggers out there! This concept of clean eating has become so big, and it's not hard at all to find a variety of creative recipes using just a few ingredients! Again, I'm only on day three, so there's much more experimenting to be done, but I'll continue to document and am happy to share what I'm learn along the way. 
{forgive me if i quit and leave you hangin'}



This morning's breakfast: Quinoa, cinnamon, stevia (a natural sugar substitute), slivered almonds, and blueberries.

2 comments:

  1. Go, Emily, go! (cue dorky cheerleading stance)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep up the good work, yes, it doesn't leave much! But can you eat organic dairy like soy? If so you could make smoothies for breakfast and snacks. I use fresh and frozen fruits. Helps with cravings. It's hard to find things that don't have all that sugar. I have tried detox but don't make it very long but I do feel bad food in moderation helps verses eating crap everyday. I don't know if you have net-flix but their is some really great documentaries on there about food consumption, but I will warn you, it will make you feel like all their is to eat is fruits, veggies, and water! (organic of course) :)

    ReplyDelete